Protecting Your Most Valuable Asset with the Right Roof
Your home is more than just a place to rest and raise a family. It is also a valuable investment and an asset. Taking care of your home is a long-term commitment and roofing plays a major part in it.
At Belvedere Roofing, we are committed to provide quality roofing services in Edmonton and throughout Northern Alberta. You can always count on us from minor repairs to aesthetically beautiful new installations.
What Is a Roof?
A roof isn’t just a covering for your home but a way to protect it. It safeguards against snow, rain and other natural elements. They are constructed in a wide variety of forms as per economic, technical or aesthetic considerations.
The earliest roofs were thatched ones made of leaves, straw and other natural materials. Timber came to be used later along with clay or other impermeable substances pushed into the gaps between them. With the invention of cut stone and brick for building, the basic forms of vaults and domes appeared.
Two main roofing types in the modern world are:
For information on popular roofing materials, read our blog post - Popular Roofing Materials: Their Pros and Cons.
How Does a Roof Work?
Each layer of the roof contributes to protecting your home. It begins with joists and attic trusses with the decking on top, forming a base for underlayment. This prevents wind-driven rain from trickling into your attic. On top of the underlayment is a protective coating of shingles, metals, or tiles for slope roofs. In the case of flat ones, it will usually be asphalt or tar applied on as a membrane.
How Roofing Protects Your Attic?
An attic is the space between the roof and the ceiling. A well-insulated one will keep your whole house warm in winter and cool in summer. Here are some ways your roof can safeguard your attic against harsh conditions:
- The roof will have vents that let air flow out. This prevents moisture from accumulating in the attic.
- In the winter, warm air moves up and prevents the attic from getting too hot. A hot roof can melt the snow and by the time it reaches the gutters, it turns to ice, causing damages. Roofing vents regulate roof temperature and prevents this from happening.
- The layers of shingles or tiles prevent water from entering your home. This safeguards the attic insulation underneath and prevents your house from experiencing large temperature changes.
- Your roof can also protect the attic from winds. A strong one will have shingles fastened with nails and added-in layers to stop them from flying off during storms.
How Roofing Protects Your Siding?
Your home systems also include your siding. This can be protected by providing an overhang that shields it from natural elements. Too much exposure to the sun and rain may cause cracks or encourage mould formation. It can hold up the debris that falls during storms and prevent additional damage. Roofing can also stop water from sliding down your home.
How Roofing Protects Your Foundation?
The foundation and roof of your home are connected; the latter acts as a large catch basin for water during intense rainfall.
If water isn’t directed into downspouts and gutters by your roofing, you may observe the following:
- Rainwater slides down the roof to the edge
Water will move off the edge and create puddles
- The soil around the edge of the house will become saturated over time
- Saturated soil turns into mud which moves easily
- The soil underground and near the foundation becomes wet
- Water moves through the soil and pushes against the foundation
- Cracks appear and water could leak in
- The combination of pressure and leaks will erode the foundation over time
Where Can You Find Affordable Roofing in Edmonton?
At Belvedere Roofing, we have been providing reliable residential and commercial roofing for more than forty years. Our reputation is built on the quality of our workmanship and professionalism.
Have a look at what we do and call us to learn more about our cost-effective services.