Seven Signs Your Roof Needs Repair or Replacement
The roof of your house should be strong to keep your home warm and cozy in all kinds of weather. Roof problems such as water leaks can cause extensive structural damage if not repaired immediately. Holes in your roof or missing shingles can even allow rodents to enter and cause damage to your property. Rats, mice and squirrels can chew on anything which helps them to build a nest. They may even dig tunnels into insulation inside walls and attics. If you plan to sell your house, you should consider renovating the roof to increase the resale value. Our team of professionals at Belvedere Roofing can provide you with a wide range of residential roof repair services in Edmonton.
Proper maintenance is essential to make sure your home’s roof looks good and functions properly. Ignoring minor roof problems now can result in costly repairs in the future. Here are some roofing issues you shouldn’t ignore:
- Curling Shingles – Edges of roof shingles turn upward or the middle portion of roof shingles starts to come up while the edges stay flat. This is usually caused by weathering and requires immediate repair.
- Cracked Shingles - Cracked shingles are a result of wind damage. You don’t have to worry about a few cracked shingles. However, if you observe random cracks throughout your roof, consider a roof replacement.
- Granules in Gutter – The granules on shingles help prevent sun damage by helping keep UV rays off. When they start deteriorating, the granules come off and can fall into the gutters. If you have been observing granules in the rain gutters for the last 10 to 15 years, you should take remedial action.
- Missing Shingles – Replace shingles as soon as they go missing. The existing shingles might have discoloured due to sun exposure so it might be difficult to procure shingles of the same colour. Replacing shingles one by one will make the roof efficient, but to prevent a roof from looking like a checkerboard, replace the whole roof.
- Shingles Covered with Moss or Algae – Algae not only impacts the appearance of your roof but also weakens the shingles. Never scrape off the moss yourself or you might damage the shingles. It is better to replace the shingles.
- Check the Attic – Inspect your attic roof for damages. If you notice sunlight entering through gaps between roof shingles, you will need roof repair. Call professionals immediately to prevent rainwater, cold air, and snow from entering your house.
- Sagging Roof - Structural issues result in a sagging roof. The decking in your attic or the supports in your foundation might have faults.
If your roof is 30 to 40 years old, there might be problems with it even if it looks good. Any roof which is more than 25 years old should be monitored closely for damages.
If you are worried about which shingles last longer, visit our blog to learn the pros and cons of popular roofing materials.